There are many reasons to consider Van Cortlandt Village, in the northwest Bronx:
- And much more
- Affordable housing in single and two family homes, to multiple dwellings in rentals, Mitchell-Lama cooperatives, and private co-ops at lower prices than Riverdale, and much lower prices than Manhattan. Written up in 2007 in the New York Times Real Estate section.
- More articles talk about how good this neighborhood is. One from the NY Times February 2014. Another one is from from the Observer. And Forgotten-NY.com.
- Well maintained neighborhood with tree lined streets and buildings ranging from new construction less than 5 years old to well-established buildings over 80 years old .
- One of the safest areas of the 50th precinct, which is one of the lowest crime precincts in the city.
- Kosher shopping, dining, and fast food - Bagels, Pizza, Delicatessens, Chinese, and Take-out are all nearby, delivery from many is available.
- Yeshivas and Hebrew Day Schools - from Nursery through High School, some nearby and others which provide bus transportation.
- Many other schools, both public and private, including the Bronx High School of Science, and Lehman College.
- Convenient to Public Transportation - the 1, 4, B and D Subway lines, the 1, 2, 3 and 10 Buses, and the BxM3 Express Bus. Get to Midtown Manhattan in 30 minutes!
- Convenient to the Major Deegan Expressway, the Saw Mill River Parkway, Mosholu Parkway, Henry Hudson Parkway and the Bronx River Parkway.
- Recreational locations including Van Cortlandt Park, Fort Independence (both with playgrounds), Harris Field and Inwood Park. The Bronx Botanical Gardens and the Bronx Zoo (New York Zoological Park) are a short distance away.